5.29.2012

Feeling weathered

I am safe and sound in Yellowstone! A few things have not met my expectations, but I am keeping my hopes high. When I flew into Bozeman, it was super cold (not strange for this time of year), and when I checked into my hotel, it had started snowing . . . SIDEWAYS. The wind was so strong the snow was literally coming in sideways. And the next day, driving into the park, there was snow everywhere! We were afraid we weren't going to be able to make it to Lake because of the road closures. Luckily, our expert bus driver John was able to take a few roads that were closed to the public, but weren't insanely icy.
We made it to the Lodge in one piece, and then made it to the dorm. Turns out, they really weren't ready for the six of us currently living in the dorms. Most of the beds weren't constructed, and there were only a few rooms with mattresses. Plus, a water main broke over the winter season, and so we can't drink the water quite yet. The dorm is a little creepy, especially since it's so empty right now, and makes a lot of creepy noises at night. But, anyway, we all got settled in okay, and got dinner, met our boss, etc. The great thing about the six people working at the front desk is the way we all immediately bonded. Every one is super sweet, and hilarious. It's a relief to know that my co-workers and some of my dorm-mates are all going to be easy to get along with. That makes the entire summer very exciting, and I'm looking forward to exploring the park with them.
So, we got all settled in, and after exploring the employee pub (it's literally right next to my dorm), we all decided to call it a night. When we got back to the dorm, however, we realized that the heat wasn't on. Let's remember that it had been snowing all day. It was COLD. So we suffered through the first night. When we woke up in the morning, we discovered that our dorm was also lacking hot water! Needless to say, we were all a little grumpy heading into our first day of training. Luckily, we have the best manager in the world, and she made everything feel a lot easier. The heat got turned on for our second night, and the hot water was in semi-working condition the next day. We're still waiting for wi-fi in the dorms, but I'm not too worried about that. I know everything will get all fixed up, and we'll get more people in the dorm later this week. I'm getting more and more excited about the Lodge actually opening for the season!
More updates, and maybe some pictures! We're going on a tour of the southern loop tomorrow, and I should get some awesome shots there.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. Nice blog :) congratulatioms on your recent graduation! It is a bit scary when it's all over and done with isn't it, but just think of it as the next chapter starting. Katie x

    ReplyDelete